To paraphrase William Shakespeare “ to gift or not to gift for the holidays? That is the question.” For many businesses, the dilemma of the holiday gifting season often creates a lot of stress. Should I give gifts to my customers, clients or suppliers? And how do I gift my own employees? An even bigger dilemma, how do I find the right gift and within a reasonable budget? Thankfully, you can count on the team at Myron to take the guesswork out of your holiday shopping needs. In this blog post, we’ll cover the benefits and do’s and don’ts of holiday gift giving. Finally, we’ll take you through our top picks for amazing holiday business gifts.
According to surveys conducted by the Promotional Products Association International (PPAI) companies who gifted were twice as likely to increase their chances of being contacted by customers who received their gift.
A few years ago, holiday gift giving slowed down. But, like most trends, what falls out of favor eventually come back as in vogue. Businesses use gifts to thank long-standing customers; for recognizing the contribution of their employees for their hard work, goodwill, and for new business by reaching out to prospective clients to stay on their radar. Being the recipient of business gifts is sometimes unexpected, but quite often, they are expected “thank yous”. According to PPAI, 12.2% of businesses surveyed said they gift “because customers expect them”. However you look at it, the decision to gift is the same: to affirm relationships and enhance the personal connection between the giver and the recipient.
The etiquette of giving
To make sure your gifts bring joy and gratitude to their recipients, instead of stress, make sure to follow these simple rules:
- Gifts differ from incentives because they are meant to be given with no expectations. Look at gift giving as a subtle, long-term process of relationship-building, No doubt, gift giving is a cost-effective way to build a sense of partnership but there is no real way to calculate the return on that investment. So, don’t be a Grinch and get into the holiday spirit.
- Avoid the major sin of re-gifting or pulling something from your showroom. An American Express survey performed during the 2013 holiday season found that 32% of all Americans took part in re-gifting.
- Know How Much to Spend. Whether your holiday gifting budget is big or small, fantastic options are available to you with a wide range of price points. So, every sized company can enjoy the benefits of sending gifts to their clients, customers, business partners and employees.
- Remember to check your customer’s company policy for receiving gifts. Some don’t allow employees to receive gifts worth more than around $150.00 a year.
- Your corporate gift of choice should be customized with your logo or some corporate messaging. The more the recipient uses their gift and sees that image, the more top-of-mind you will be for the future.
- Everyone wants to be appreciated. A seasonal gift shows gratitude for someone’s time, energy or business. Think of it as a gesture that goes a long way and is always appreciated. Be sure to include a handwritten note with your gift and do not include a marketing pitch.
- Be mindful the gift you select is appropriate to the business relationship. And generally, the frequency of gift giving generally should be restricted to major holidays and special occasions. Again, be sure to avoid the impression that you are trying to butter up the recipient for future work.
- Never give a gift where the recipient of the gift is required to spend additional money in order to use the gift such as tickets to a play in another city but not providing an overnight stay in a hotel or gas money to get there.
What to give
There is an art to holiday gifting and you can’t rely on selecting a gift with the mindset that it does not matter what I buy…..it is the thought that counts. It requires some thought especially as it is an extension of your brand. So, let’s look at the most popular items for business gifting especially over the holidays.
Edibles are very popular as corporate gifts. They tie in well to many holidays and can be taken home and enjoyed with friends and family. You know that old saying the “best way to win someone’s heart is via the stomach”. Gifts like our Filled Truffles Gift Box with Dark Chocolate Centerpiece (also available with a Milk Chocolate Centerpiece) and our Promo Acrylic Gift Cube with Malt Balls are sure to please anyone with a sweet tooth.
Logo’d apparel is one of the most popular promotional category and with good reason. Why? Clothing is something everyone needs and uses. Our Port Authority Micro Fleece Jacket is an excellent choice for the chilly winter months.
Promotional bags like our Montana Duffel Bag are perfect for weekend trips and for the gym. Everyone loves receiving a gift they can use over and over again so when you’re gifting a custom bag make sure that it is durable and that it has plenty of storage space.
Imprinted promotional water bottles will keep your customer’s refreshed for hours and your logo will be proudly displayed. Our 16 Oz. Colored Acrylic Tumbler is a useful giveaway that will be seen over and over by your customers.
Pens and Stationery Items
At Myron, we have always known the “pen is mightier than the sword”. They reflect practicality and good taste! And year after year, this is backed by data gathered by the Advertising Specialties Institute (ASI). Writing instruments are the most-recalled advertising specialty item, followed by apparel, caps and bags. A promotional multi-function pen like our new Solare Triple Function Pen makes a great gift for any recipient and comes in festive colors with a complimentary holiday greeting to commemorate the season.
Stationery items are another classic end of year gift that will be used on a daily basis by recipients. Elegant journals like the Castelli Tahoe Medium Promotional Journal and our Metropolitan Medium Wiro Notebook emblazoned with your company logo make perfect gifts for corporate clients.
Always a thoughtful gift, our Sport Challenger II Compact Umbrella won’t let your customers get caught in the rain on their way to and from the office. Useful throughout the year, custom umbrellas also have large imprint areas to showcase your imprint and help improve brand name recall.
Power up your holiday gifting with custom Power Banks and USB charging devices like our Promo Emergency Mobile Charger and Customized Round Car Charger. Everyone uses Smart Phones and Tablets so these are items on your Holiday list that recipients will be thrilled to receive.
All the items listed above are available at Myron.com. For a personalized shopping experience, contact one of our expert Account Managers to advise you on and help narrow down your choices. At MYRON We’ve Got the Gift for Building Business®.
About the Author: Terry Shatner is responsible for supporting vendor partnerships, product and sales operations at Myron. She is a strategic thinker with demonstrated success in marketing, promotions, the promotions industry, and sales operations in both B2C and B2B markets.